Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick newt

E

edward

hello im trying to get my spanish ribbed newt healthy again. every time i think hes better he gets these spots again, sores with white hairlike fuzz growing on top. he first got it on his mouth (top right of mouth and bottom still looks injured)now on back and chest.loss of appetite seems stressed. i have 2 months in 20 gl tnk alone.submercible filter with 8 gallons of water a 2 gallon change every 2 to 3 days mainly when cleaning out left overs,after feeding
46933.jpg
here a pic notice top right of mouth, also spot above thumb and on chest please help i would really like to see jabba happy again thanks!

I

ian

Jabba?? Jabba the hut? Anyway, have you tried salt bath? That might help. You should be able to find some details on this on the forum, search it.

I hope it will get well soon.
happy.gif

E

edward

yeah, jabba the newt!forgot to add jabba has shed at least 4 times in the last month. i'll look into the salt baths thanks

A

andy

Hi Edward, myself, i'd think it would need anti biotics if the problem keeps coming back. If you take it to the vet they'll take culture from the sores and give it a suitable anti biotic.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1