Dead newt - black 'webbing' ?

L

laurakm

My CFB (juvie) is dead - he was fine (strong, healthy, good eater, clean and balanced tank and water, good filtration, etc) day before yesterday. But yesterday when I went to check on him, he was covered in what looked like black, translucent netting or webbing or something - it looked like his shed skin, in fact, but it was three times as large as him. Inside it, he was nearly completely disintegrated, and when I tried to net his body, he broke apart, and was all white inside.

Again, this happened in **A DAY**

I have never heard of anything like this, and I'm really worried about my other critters! Luckily the CFB was in his own tank, and I've gotten rid of anything that touched him or his water since I discovered this.

Does anyone have ANY clue what this means?

wow, now THAT is weird... the only thing that really comes to mind is venomous aquatic spiders, but that still doesnt sound right. where do you live? could there have been anything toxic in the tank (plants, etc)?

Weird...I responded to this, but it doesn't show up.

I'm in Austin, TX. There's nothing in the tank that could have caused it - I tested the water and everything when it happened, and all the plants and decorations were plastic, and had all been in his tank for over a year; there was nothing new added in that past 6 months. Same with the filter and filter media.

There are aquatic spiders?!? Oh, no! Next they'll fly! LOL - I am sooo afraid of spiders.

-s1ren

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back