Filter problem

K

katy

I just recently bought my first newt. He lives in a 10 gallon tank with about three gallons of water to swim in and several rocks to rest on. Instead of using the rocks or water he climbs into the filter that hangs into his cage and will not come out. Is this normal for him to live in the filter?

The filter is for a five gallon tank which hangs inside the cage with suction cups. The top is open to let water flow out.

He is probably looking for a hiding place. As long as he is eating, I wouldn't worry about it. After he gets used to the place, he may start coming out more. Could you raise the water level so that he can't use the filter as a hiding place any more?

try using some gravel and adding some plants to the tank they love hiding in plants
Wolfie

I have a paddletail newt that seems addicted to his filter as well (a Fluval submersed filter). I have constructed many hiding caves and cozy spaces for him, but his favorite place has for a couple of years now been to wedge himself between the glass and the filter. I have tried to prevent him from doing this by putting rocks around the filter or pushing the filter all the way against the glass, but he will spend entire days coming up with ways of getting back there, even to the point of pushing the filter away from the glass bit-by-bit. This behavior used to concern me, but after all this time, it seems to be harmless. The only problem being that I have to flush out the filter far more frequently than I would like!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back