Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help please c orietalis problem

C

chelsea

<font color="0077aa"><font face="arial,helvetica"><font size="+1">Trouble sexing c orientalis, read page on sexing still troubled have 2 to compare, not sure of age</font></font></font>

J

james

Sexing them is very difficult. There are no real outward signs other than the length and shape of the tail. It is even more difficult if they are juveniles (under 6 cm in length approximately).

J

joseph

If you have both sexes it should be pretty simple.
Cynops1.jpg

This is a female...note that the cloaca is not swollen and for the most part stays "in line" with the tail other than an indent.

bellies.jpg

Male is the small newt near the top. Note his larger cloaca and the fact that his tail is shorter. If you were to see him from the side the tail would be much more rounded off and paddlelike. Also the indent between the cloaca and the tail is much more pronounced. Hard to describe but go take a look in the firebelly newt section at the photos of C. cyanurus. The male(with the blue tail) shows this very well-it may not be as extreme with C. orientalis. This will only work with adults.

Hope this helps out a bit.

C

chelsea

<font color="0077aa"><font face="arial,helvetica"><font size="+1">thanks ive discovered that my newt is female and my sisters newt is male. any info on breeding would be really appreciatd.thanks again</font></font></font>

J

joan

I think you should get the cage situated first.

Are you prepared to raise up to 200 offspring? This entails daily (sometimes 2 or 3 times daily) feeding, daily water changes, and daily poop cleaning? You know you've got to buy chemicals to dechlorinate the tank, and food for tiny little hatchlings isn't cheap. And the offspring can't be kept in the adult's tank, and you can't keep the babies concentrated. So you'd have to go buy tons of little containers to keep the babies in, so they won't cannibalize each other. You should probably work with the adults you have first before you start thinking about breeding.

E

ester

Usually newts breed when they feel comfortable and happy in their environment. Focus on their housing and food for now and maybe they'll surprise you in spring
happy.gif

If a newt wants to breed she'll find a place to deposit her eggs, there's no special requirement for this or that plant.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1