C Orientalis New Tank Setup.

J

jack

Im upgrading from a smaller plastic tank to a lee's herp haven (the large one) i was wanting to get some ideas on how to set it up..

should i go half water half land based?

or all water with some area where they can crawl out on?

also what would be the best live plant to use for them.ive heard elodea but i dont know....i have them in a area where they get lots of light from the windows...so a low light plant would prob be the best.

any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

also if anyone has ever used the lees large plastic tanks as homes to there newts could you post a picture so that way i can get some idea
happy.gif

thank you
happy.gif

Hey Jack, if I were you I would take that thing back and get a ten gallon for ten bucks. But anyway, near the window isn't best because it will encourage algae growth and heat the tank. Newts like cooler temps.

Elodea would be good but you'd need a flourescent light. I would also recommend a screen top to let the air flow and keep it cooler.

Land and water is whatever your newt seems to like best. I would go mostly water but with lots of things to crawl out on for a c.o.

Pothos is a good plant for just about any newt friendly tank. It isn't picky about anything, really.

id love to take it back but i cant,my sister got it for me for my birthday,bad thing is its only 7 inches high but its real wide and real open..was figuring on making a rocky outcropping area where they can get out and the rest aquatic with some plants floating so they can move around and feel at home.

That sounds good Jack. Newts don't need deep water anyway, especially not a c.o. The more surface area, then better though.

7 inches is okay, I would keep the water up pretty high in that, just use all the space you've got. Give your newt tons of stuff to crawl up on. I would recommend a filter too.

ya i ordered a reptofilter from petco.com its made for newt and frog habitats..im always cleaning there tank out so the filter idea will help me not have to clean it out as much.

I would recommend a ten gallon acrylic tank instead of the Lee's Haven. The acrylic tank is more accomdating to the filters and such. More importantly, you can reuse an acrylic tank much more easily than Lees.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back