Problems with Plethodon glutinosus

erwin

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
Erwin Bakker
I have Plethodon glutinosus. They look healthy and eat normal, but they have one problem. They have bumps on ,mostly, there feet. It looks the same as in PLATE 116 in Salamanders of the United States and Canada, J.W.Petranka. Does anyone knows what this can be and what I can do about it?

(Message edited by erwin on May 03, 2006)

I don't have Petranka handy, but are they red bumpslike the ones seen here? If so, those are mites (Trombiculidae).
64149.jpg

I've removed these mites by anesthetizing the salamanders and then lancing the bump and digging out the mite with a needle.

Thank you Nate for your replay.

Looks the same. The bumps are also on the tail and on the back, but the feet are the worst. Some feet are lumplike. One died yesterday with small spots of his skin gone.

Your solution sounds difficult, I have seven of them, with a lot of these bumps. Can you think of some liquid that can kill the mites and leave the salamanders alive?

Made some pictures
64164.jpg

Swollen foot
64165.jpg

Idem
64166.jpg

Some mite on the tail?
64167.jpg

Swollen glands, only one salamander has this.
64168.jpg

White spots is where there is no skin anymore on the dead salamander

(Message edited by erwin on May 04, 2006)

We tried treating Aneides aeneus that had these mites with ivermectin with poor success. The mites ended up having to be surgically removed.

Ed

One thing that I think is worth considering: I often see salamanders with these mites in the Ouachita Mountains, but only from late spring on to fall. In fact, almost all salamanders have at least one bump.

In early spring, I've never found a salamander with a mite which suggests to me these mites die in cold temperatures. You might try sticking them in a refridgerator for a few weeks.

In any event, there's no documented case that I'm aware of where salamanders that are even heavily infested die from these mites. I've seen salamanders with both eyes closed from the swelling that still seemed otherwise healthy and in good body condition. The mites may not be the problem.

Heya Erwin, nice animals! I've been looking at them too.. so far managed to avoid going to Utrecht.

It is only a guess but maybe the lesions are caused by a bacterial infection. I had a similar thing happen to a newly imported N. viridescens. The animals have been through a lot with being caught, shipping, being kept in a store and stress may have lowered their natural resistance. Have you considered checking with a vet? I've had some good results with Colisol. See this thread for details: http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/36169.html?1124140471

The one with the white spots is already dead and indeed, I think that can be another story.

For the mites, I think I am going to try the refrigerator. Not sure if I am going to put all of them inside or just two to try. Perhaps that is the best way to do it.

Any thoughts about the swollen glands. I keep this one separate from the group, to be save(r).

I would guess the gland is mite-related...maybe a mite got down into a pore and the swelling now obscures the mite.

Thanks for all the help. Let you know the outcome. Btw, got a new salamander for the one that died.

Time to revive a dormant thread. A quick literature search reveals 28 WEEK treatment of Hyla arenicolor with Ivermectin, associated with physically removing the mites. What I don't yet see is whether Ivermectin works directly against the trombiculid mites, or whether it is safe to use [or dosage needed] with Plethodon. The other question is obviously whether fridging was effective. I suspect not, as it may simply be that the mites in the wild have matured enough over the summer to fall off...and then re-infect later or lay their eggs for a new crop to infect the next year. If they fall off, it may simply be a matter of letting them mature, fall off, and prevent reinfection. I don't yet know if Hannemania does drop off, or wether it remains entombed in the salamander's skin.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back