Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White spots on firebelly

C

christine

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but not to newts. I've had newts for almost 15 years now and have seen fungus, loss of appetite, bloating and other health-related things. I currently have two firebellies that I've had for about 5 years now - they've always been healthy, active newts and they get along fine. They are in a 30 gallon tank with a firebelly toad (they have been together since I got them and I never had any fighting issues, I guess the tank is big enough for all of them). I also have some silver tip tetras in there, who all look healthy. I noticed last night that one of my newts has developed white spots on her back, almost in a pattern along her spine. This isn't fungus, but it almost looks like ick. The spots are really small and she doesn't have any open wound. She is still very much active and eating, and doesn't seem sick at all. At first I thought the fish had ick and the newt caught it from them, but none of the fish has any sign of it. What could it be? I changed the water about 3 weeks ago ( I do it once a month ) and everything tested fine. Any ideas? Old age maybe? I haven't had a chance to take a picture yet, but I can if it'll help. Any input would be really appreciated.

J

jim

Mine have had these spots for years, I think it is just a color variation. Let me see if I can find a pic and I will post it on this thread.

J

jim

This one is kind of blurry but you can see the spots.
76557.jpg

I

ian

Those white spots on that picture by Jim are normal. Most all my 50 Fire Bellies have them.

R

rodrigo

Those spots i think they are sensors. You know like those fish have. They use them in the aquatic phase to feel anything moving in the water...or i think so :p

C

christine

Thank you so much for the reply!
I do feel better, but her spots aren't THAT aligned. I've attached two pictures (although blurry). In the first one is Nabuco with the white spots. In the second, you can still see the spots a little bit - and Milo doesn't have them at all. Although I am starting to think that it is normal, because she's really not displaying any signs of sickness - even after almost 3 days.

I'll let you know if anything develops, but again, thanks for the info!

76607.jpg

Nabuco and her white spots

76608.jpg

Nabuco, on top (white spots) and Milo.

I

ian

they dont always align like a striaght line. So it should be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1