Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Timers

C

chris

Is it a good idea to use timers for light cycles, and if so what are good light hours for winter and summer for temperate newts (chinese)
Cheers
Chris

M

mark

Interesting question Chris, i can't wait to see the answers people give!

J

jennifer

I find it convenient to use timers. I try to synchronize the light cycle with outdoor light. Whenever I notice it's different from outdoors, I adjust the timer a bit.

caleb

Reaction score
I posted a message about this a while ago, giving a link to this:
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.html

which allows you to calculate sunrise/ sunset times over one year, for a given latitude and longitude. Longitude doesn't really make any difference- if you use 0 degrees east, and 0 hours offset from Greenwich, you should get local time (near enough).

I personally change my timers once a month, to give a max of 16 hours light in summer, min of 8 hours in winter, which is roughly equivalent to what we get in the UK.

I have the times offset by a couple of hours, so the winter ones correspond better to when I'm actually there to feed them.

C

chris

Cheers Caleb. I'll have to find out the lattitude/longitude for Paramesotriton habitat - anyone got a site to find data for areas of the world?
Chris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1