Kordon Breather bags and amphibian shipments

A

annmarie

Hello,

In the dealing with buying/selling shrimp shiped through mail we use things called "Kordon Breather Bags" (Kordon with a tm) for they promote gas exchange thus preventing lack of oxygen or drastic ph swings during shipment.

Does anyone know if these are suitible for shipment of eggs, babies, or axolotl? Most people i know using these use it for inverts, killies, and other fish. I do not know of, yet, anyone who recomends, discourages or have used these bags with amphibians.

If you do not know what these are, yu can use your favourite search engine, there is information reguarding their use and ability.

Thanks,
AnnMarie

I am assuming it would be safe to ship amphibians in bags like that. After all, you can ship them in plastic bags that have very little gas exchange as long as you give them about 2/3 of the bag filled with air. Axolotl should be over-night shipped anyways, so the necessity for the bag would be up to the one shipping.

Lets see, I was reading the FAQ's on the bag and it quoted that if one leaves air in the bag, gas exchange cannot be as effective as it should in a bag. This may pose a problem.

I have shipped juvenile axolotls in Kordon breather bags. I double-bagged them, and left no air inside. I believe that the reason for leaving no air space in the bag is that it reduces "sloshing" during shipment - not that it increases gas exchange. Anyway, the axies I shipped this way survived, for what it's worth. I also know someone who ships axies in regular Ziploc bags quite successfully, half water half air in the bag.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back