Too Cold?

T

tyler

OK so I know that I'm supposed to keep my newt's tank temperature below 72 degrees farenheight, but I'm sure that I don't want to have his/her tank at 32 degrees farenheit(0 degrees celcius). What's a good temp zone for newts?

I don't have a newt yet but, I'm planning on getting a Tanicha Granulosa. I'd mostly like to know what's too cold. Can a newt/salamander be freezed? for how long? that kind of stuff. My house can get pretty cold not to the extent of 32 degrees farenheit, but it can get into the 40's during the winter (heater's busted
sad.gif
).

I'm not an expert by any means but I've always thought the 40s should be fine. I'm used to everybody speaking in cms and celcius though.

A bigger issue is how much the temperature changes in one day as opposed to over a period of weeks to a low. If you are getting swings in one day or two days that range from the upper 60s to the low 40s then this may be a problem. If the acclimation is over several days then there shouldn't be any problems with them being kept in 40s. Just keep in mind that they will reduce the amount of food they will be willing to eat.

Ed

Ooh we actually do have the occaisional drop in temperature. Our heater will shut off on its own from time to time. It will be at 68 degrees and then shut off within a few hours the temperature will drop to outside's temperature plus a few degrees.

After you figure out the heater issue, you'll also need to address adequate summer time cooling. Do you have a basement or adequate indoor AC control to keep temps below 75°? If you do have a basement, then you've also solved the problem of winter heating: the temp in the basement should remain fairly stable to within about 10° or so deviation over 24 hours.

Actually I've got some stuff fixed and yeah I'm totally ready for Summer. I've got a basement, shade, A/C, a fan in the window, ice cubes, ice packs, and probably more stuff so I'm set. Thanks for all of your help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back