Whats wrong with my newt

M

mark_uk

i got my newts 2 days ago and realised that 1 of thems leg was missing and the same newt has an extremly large throught.
his injured leg is sheding skin and his throught is giant compared to my other newt it looks very uncomfortable and coz of this he cant close his mouth propaly.
is there something wrong with my newt?
please help me!
any information welcome A.S.A.P

Mark_UK

it sounds like it has mouthrot to me but i could be somthing else try melafix on the newt the leg will grow back on its own but it does sound very ill what type of newts are they, there is also another treatment but i can,t remember the name

they are Cynops pyrrhogaster (Japanese Fire-Bellied),the newt is also not eating.

Mark_UK

also i will get some melafix soon,how is this applied to the newt.
thanx for the info.

Mark_UK

ive separated my newts. my healthy newt ned is still in my tank. my other newt neville who may have mouthrot is in quarentine.

Mark

ive just come home this minute and found my newt in quarentine ,neville, dead im very upset. just thought id let you know.

in memory of neville the newt.

Mark

Hi Mark

That's very sad
sad.gif
but apparently rather a common problem with pet shop newts. The best you can do is inspect newts carefully before you buy but this doesn't guarantee their prolonged health. Anyway you did your best for him.

Claire

Im starting to think newts should actually be bred actually in pet shops, not imported. they all seeme to loose their legs and die.

its cheaper to import them by the masses than it is to raise larvae. petshops dont care whether they live or die after you buy them, they care whether you'll pay the money for them. its cheaper to buy them wholesale and ship them in from who knows where and pass them off to you at elevated prices. thats why there are breeders around the world trying to promote the purchase of captive bred individuals, and more horror stories than you can shake a stick at about petshops.

http://www.caudata.org/caudatecentral/editor/PetStupid.html

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back