I need help figuring out an old newt

S

steve

I am trying to figure out the species of an old newt that I had about 20yrs ago. It looked like a Chinese Firebelly except that the coloration was yellow instead of orange. I cannot seem to find any pictures but I used to see them commonly sold in the same pet shops that carried the other firebellies.

I know that it's not alot to go on but I figured I would give it a shot.

Any ideas?

(Message edited by caffeinekid on January 10, 2004)

Thanks Cataldo. Unfortunately, I don't believe that they were Taricha G., mine were a brighter shade of yellow and had coloration on their backs and heads as well. Coloration similar in hue to the Tiger salamander. Their size was roughly the same as C. pyrrhogaster.

These newts were also fairly common back in the mid-eighties; being sold in midwestern petshops and even K-marts (specifically in Iowa). I have browsed through a couple of different websites showing pictures of various newts and the C. orientalis pictured in the very bottom-right (see link) photo looks the most like my old buddies. The main difference being that they also had coloration on their backs.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_orientalis.shtml

Thank you very much for your help guys!

Jennifer, It's funny that you should mention the Eastern newts because my favorite petshop just got some in and I'm going to pick them up today. They are very attractive.

You are correct John. They also resembled that species except that they were a lighter brown and the facial features were a tad bit more muted or rounded. Unfortunately, I have no pictures and collective information on newts was scarce to the aquatic hobbyist back then (circa 1982-1986).

I have been doing various google searches with different descriptions in hopes of finding something but everything keeps pointing me back to caudata.org :)0)- imagine that!) yet I see no picture in the species directory.

John: If you mean the Paramesotriton laoensis which I'm sure you don't, Not a chance. hehe. They weren't even discovered then. But, if you know a source in the Army, let me know. LOL

I have seen "yellow belly" of the Paramesotriton genus, which is possible especially found in juveniles and variations. But for a pattern above?

Were the newts aquatic?

Hum.... Brainstorming.....

How about: markings on back, look like JFB:
Cynics wolterstorffi, NO, Presumed extinct
Cynops ensicauda? although smaller newt, do have marking on back and sometimes orange colored bellies patterns.
Salamandra salamandra ? younger animals are smaller and have yellow on backs sometimes on belly. very common.

Well, let me know when you find it.

Cataldo

Cataldo: Not saying it's that species, but even if it were, being described as a proper species doesn't mean it wasn't seen/collected/sold before.

In any case, I'm not making this up. Taidgh Duffy sent me a photo the other day of a yellow one that he bought recently and I've seen yellow ones before in person. I'm not certain of the species name though. I'm not hallucinating. I would post Taidgh's photo but it's his photo and not mine to post.

No, I wasn't trying to step on you, I just couldn't think of any other species in the genus Paramesotriton that has yellow on it with the exception of the belly patterns and maybe some spotting in the chinensis. You just said "yellow species of Paramesotriton" which led me to the newly described species laoensis that was described by Stuart & Papenfuss in 2002. From what I've read, this newt cannot be obtained from the wild because of location which it resides. Even the local people may not be able to go there. There has been many bombings in Laos and U.S. citizens traveling in Laos are advised to exercise extreme caution. One report stated: "Due to the risk of violence, U.S. citizens in Laos should avoid travel to Saysomboun Special Zone and Xieng Khouang Province" and this is where you will find the newt laoensis. To get this newt, it sounds like you may have to risk death. I concur that this doesn't mean it was never available anywhere, ever, but to make this Rare newt COMMONLY found in K-mart is beyond my belief.

I emailed Taidghon. I would love to share in this yellow Paramesotriton. I wonder if it is a laos warty. hehe

Cataldo

p.s. sorry to be long-winded

(Message edited by cataldo on January 11, 2004)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back