Newt leg broken what should I do

W

william

Yesterday I was sent 3 more Paramesotriton fuzhongensis (because I recieved 3 DOA) well after checking the newts I realized that one had gone through hell it had: a large head wound, large chunk taken out of front leg, and large chunk taken out of the back leg plus it is broken and the bone sticks out went it walks its so sad. One part of good news is that it is very active. I put neosporin on all the wounds and have isolated it from the other 4, but I was wondering if I should leave the leg alone and let it fall of by itself, make a splint, or should I cut it off?

Never mind the poor little creature died today from its wounds.

Sorry...
sad.gif

Don't touch the newt, William. If you cut off the legs you could make several damages and, mainly, cause new infections. My advice is: Put the newt in clean water ; in fact, doesn't matter if it's faucet water ( chlorinated ). If you say that the animal looks active, try to feed it a lot... probably the leg will fall itself with the time. But be careful with the infection, if grows you should begin a harder treatment with a salt solution ( http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles.shtml )

Many times Paramesotriton fuzhongensis is coming from the wild, and I prefer not imagine the conditions of the transport...

Thanks for the info Ruben, but like I said earlier it died yesterday. And yes I did read through the articles, but I wanted some personal opinions.

(Message edited by wishz1 on March 10, 2005)

Aw
sad.gif
That's sad....how did it happen? Do you think they sent you an injured newt, or did it get injured in transport?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back