Sick Newt?! Help Please!

J

jk

Hey everyone, I got a newt 4 months ago and he's developed a weird white bump on his side, and he's getting very skinny. I've tried feeding him bloodworms, tubifex worms, and shrimp, but he's skinny as a rail. If anyone can help me please do. I don't want my poor newt to die! http://www.geocities.com/pchute2002/newt.html shows a picture of this bump on his side if you think you might know what it is or how to treat it. Please let me know ASAP!

JK,
This could be ick. Is it a tericha, and do you have it in a aquatic setup? Ick , if this is it , is caused by stress it could be caused by bad water quality, heat and other things. check the quality of the water, and make sure that the temperature of the tank is close to the newts natural habitat.

By the way this is a tericha or roughskinned newt, correct? Do you know what sub-species it is? Tericha t. or Tericha g. because the sub-species gran. is more aquatic than the tor. To treat ick you must put some ick remover in the water. ick is easy to get and easy to get ridd of.You may want to check what kind of ick remover is safest and also to check and make the water qualities to there best would also take a ton of stress of your newt.

~John

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back