How can we save it?

T

triton

cynopsbizar.jpg

It's not mine. It comes from a french forum. I had the same problem with a C.E. but it died, so i would like to know what to do to save it.

Can you plz give me the address to the french forum?

That newt looks past saving to me.
sad.gif

I have a large Tylototriton verrucosus that developed bloat as bad as that. Now, only its throat is still swollen, though not nearly as bad as before. What I've been doing is keeping it on land but giving it a 15-minute daily soak in <u>amphibian Ringer's solution</u> containing the antibiotic <u>Enrofloxacin</u>. But without knowing the cause of the bloat, I'm only making an semi-educated guess as to the appropriate treatment. Previously, however, I've never had a newt recover like this from a bad case of bloat.

By the way, I'll be moving this post from here to the Newt and Salamander Help area of the site soon, so look for it there if you don't find it here
wink.gif

Ah parfait! Merci! Je peux faire des etudes en francais et parlez des tritons au meme temps maintenant!
Tu connais des autres forums francais des tritons?
happy.gif

(Message edited by Jesper on December 07, 2004)

<font color="ff0000">This thread has been moved here from the Fire Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops) discussion area</font>
wink.gif

Hi all,

There are many causes for what we commonly call "bloat". This is a syndrome where generalized subcutaneous edema develops (fluid retention) because the skin is no longer able to maintain water homeostasis. The causes are as follows:

1. Bacterial (or other infectious agents);
2. Hepatic failure;
3. Renal failure;
4. Malnutrition (usually lack of proteins or calcium);
5. Osnotic imbalances (ex: exposure to distilled water);
6. Ovarian tumors or cysts.

Ideally, one should try to look for the exact cause but often this is impossible. Anyway, husbandry should throughly revised (including water parameters, feeding) and some water chemistry analysis. To diagnose some of these diseases it's necessary some laboratory workout done by a veterinarian (bloodwork, Xray, fecal analysis,...). Aspiration of this fluid and it's microscopic analysis would be of great importance.

Supportive care includes bathing in amphibian ringer's solution and trating the underlying etiology (antibiotics if infection, force-feeding if malnutrition, suplementation with calcium or vitamins). As for renal and hepatic failure, treatment is usually unrewarding...

As for this case with localized edema on the throat the causes could also include some disfunction of the lymph heart that drains fluids from this area (ex: trauma, obstruction with crystals, parasites, abcesses, tumors or scar tissue). Providing that the cause of this localized edema isn't a dangerous one (like obstruction from oxalate crystals) most animals survive quite well and in some cases it may even regress spontaneously.

Hope I didn't confuse you
dizzy.gif

Let me know if you need anything else

Filipe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back