Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange warts?

M

marcus

I have four firebellies, probably c.ensicauda. Today I noticed that one of them had two pair of little "warts" near the end of his tail and I´m quite sure he/she hasnt had them long. What is this and should I be worried, or is this common? The newt seems otherwise healthy and so is the tankmates.

If you have any idea whats going on please tell the newbie.....

J

jennifer

When you say "pair" do you mean the bumps are symmetrical on both sides of the body? If so, I wouldn't worry.

Also, where did you get them? If they came from a shop, they are VERY unlikely to be C. ensicauda. Maybe C. orientalis?

J

jesper

Är du svensk?
smile.gif

M

marcus

The bumps are symmetrical, so no reason to worry then? Vertebrae or something?

Well, I did buy from a pet shop, so perhaps you´re right... I have been trying to figure out what species they are and my second guess would have been C.orientalis.

Thanks for making me stop worrying
happy.gif

M

marcus

Och ja, jag är svensk!

Bor i Stockholm(Kista)och pluggar biologi för den delen.

J

jesper

Actually Jen we have some c.ensicauda breeders here ;) Believe it or not!
Dont know thir name though(trying to find out!!)
- so there are some ensicauda on the petmarket here.

J

jesper

Tjaba Marcus, jag bor själv i Uppsala och håller på med mitt exarbete för en magistertitel i biovetenskap och en eventuell apotekarexamen - kommer nog satsa på en doktorexamen istället för att göra apotekspraktiken som behövs för apotekarexamen....

Kontakta mig gärna om du har några salamanderfrågor eller så ;)
Jag kan identifiera din salamander om du vill..... Som Jennifer säger så är det troligt att det är en cynops orientalis, men det skulle vara kul om det var något annat. Jag kanske kan identifiera den mha en beskrivning om du beskriver salamandern utförligt.

Ha det!
/Jesper

M

marcus

Tjena,
Jag köpte dem i april, då det i flera zooaffärer hade dykt upp salamandrar som kallades för c.ensicauda. Ska försöka få ett par bra bilder av dem så du kan ge din åsikt, vore bra att veta.

MVH Marcus

J

jesper

Har de orange mage och svart rygg med vitgula prickar på? Då är det cynops ensicauda popei(hyfsat vanliga).
Om de har orange mage med helsvart rygg eventuellt med orangeränder så är de cynops ensicauda ensicauda(mycket ovanliga).
Om de har röd mage så är det troligtvis cynops orientalis, cynops pyrrhogaster, paramesotriton hongkongensis eller pachytriton labiatus. Pust
smile7.gif

Kul att träffa en svensk här!

J

jennifer

Jesper and Marcus - I'm not an English language supremacist, but nobody else can read what you are saying! Please correspond by e-mail.

Marcus - there would be a big difference coloration between C. ensicauda and C. orientalis. If you can post a picture, particularly a belly shot, that would probably reveal the answer. Are they very small juveniles?

J

jesper

Sorry Jen!
Blame me, I dont find swedes that share the hobby very often so I kind of get excited when meeting one here....

We did start to communicate by email!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1