Substrate question

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
I have been looking around for organic topsoil to use in conjunction with coconut fiber as a substrate for two Ambystoma mavortium, but surprisingly, I have not been able to find any. I have, however, seen a fair amount of organic potting soil, and I am concerned that I may have purchased something that may pose a danger to my two new salamanders. The main ingredient of the soil is composted organic humus, but it also contains sphagnum (which I have read can be problematic regarding the pH of the soil), perlite, earthworm castings, bat guano, humic acid, oyster shell, and dolomite lime (which I guess may bring the pH up from the sphagnum). Tomorrow, I will go purchase a soil pH test, but I was just wondering if any of the ingredients in this potting soil send up any alarms among the more experienced keepers out there. Thanks so much,
Mike

Hi Michael,

We have been able to find a organic topsoil without any additives at the big box hardware stores that works well for a number of species. Ideally you do not want any wetting agents, peat, sphagnum or manure in the soil.

Ed

Ed

The topsoil I buy does not specifically say that it is "organic", but I think it claims to be "natural". I buy it at walmart or home depot. I realize that "natural" can mean anything or nothing, so I guess I'm taking a chance that it could contain pesticides. I usually let the bag sit around for at least half a year before using, so any chemicals have some chance to decay.

You may be able to find some local topsoil you could use. Bake it before using if you are worried about germs or living things in it.

Ed and Jennifer,
Thank you very much for your advice. Unfortunately, I have called all of the establishments like home depot, lowes, walmart, tractor supply company etc. in the area and they are out of topsoil entirely (I guess I picked the wrong season to inquire). I bought the soil that I have now at a plant nursery, but I have not yet checked all of the other plant nurseries in the area--I'll try that on Monday when things open up. I will also contact the horticulture and soil science departments at school here to ask. Do you think that the two little ones will be okay on that substrate for a day or two while I try to find better soil?
Mike

Most salamanders can be kept healthy long-term on damp paper towel substrate. It's more hassle, as the towels need changing every day or two, but it's perfectly acceptable. They would probably be OK on the potting soil too, but if it were me I'd go with the paper towels.

From my experience, tigers can do well in moist coco-fiber. Sometimes, the fibers may adhere to the skin, especially when dry. This doesn't seem to present a harm, however. When I don't have topsoil to mix, I use the plain coco-fiber. This and a shallow water dish with hides seem to do fine. Tigers unlike some salamanders are avid burrowers.

Thanks Jennifer and Jan,

I was finally able to locate some topsoil, which I mixed with some organic compost and coconut fiber. I relocated the two salamanders to moist paper towels while I set up the new tank. They both have eaten, (some pinhead crickets and a worm) and appear to be settling in well. Thanks again, I appreciate the assistance.

Mike

All the peat her contains NPK, nitrate, phosphor and kalium, is that a problem?

The goal is to avoid chemicals including fertilizers (NPK). Additionally, if the product is sphagnum peat, that typically has a pH of 3-4, which is too acidic an environment for sals. I would recommend using only the alternative products discussed in this thread.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back