Lethargic firebelly?

L

leah

Hi,
I'm new to the forum but am really worried...I've looked through other posting and can't find anything like this:
I just got 2 firebellys 3 days ago. Setup is ok I think- the tank is a bit on the smallish side but these guys are tiny so it should be more then enough for the next while. There's about 3 inches of water in the tank..gravel.. a land mass thingy (with a cave) and a tiny filter. Water is room temperature (or maybe a bit cooler).

Problem is, one of the guys has so far refused to go into the water. he just hangs out lethargically on the rock for ages. the other one is happily going between land and water, exploring his new home. I'm afraid that the lethargic one is sick? I was a bit worried about him and tried lifting him just to see if he would react but he just moved very very slowly.

I don't think either of them have eaten yet, but since theyre new I'm not worried about that.

There are no cuts and all the limbs seem in working order when he does move...

BAH, any help?

I have a firebelly newt that has stayed on land for the entire time I have had it, which is about a year. In the beginning I was worried, but I think it just prefers this for now. It was getting skinny so I took a spoon and filled it with live black worms and a bit of water and put it right under his face and he ate and has continued to eat rather ravenously out of a spoon ever since. It might be worth a shot to try this. Otherwise newts from a pet store, from my experience especially firebellies, arrive in bad condition and are often times compromised before you ever purchase them. I might suggest that you handle it as little as possible because it may already by having trouble getting settled in his new home. Good luck, I hope this helps
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back