Long toed salamander help

M

marcie

I was very surprised when our classroom "frog" eggs (am a teacher) turned out to be a salamander!! After looking up pictures on the net, it seems I have a long toed salamander. I need information on how to best raise this little guy. I have looked on the web, but only found pictures. He hasn't eaten in a while and I'm concerned. Have been feeding him mealworms in the past. The weather is changing and I'm wondering if that could be the reason for not eating. ANY information regarding housing and feeding would be appreciated.
Thank you

if they're still larvae, you need to keep them aquatic. adults are terrestrial. Mealworms arent really the best food. I highly recommend earthworms (and many others will agree). They don't need to eat every day, and would be fine on just twice a week or so. the caresheet found at http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml works pretty well for general Ambystoma care. Read the section on housing and feeding adults. Obviously, since full grown macrodactylum are pretty small, you'd have to feed smaller food.

If you need any more help, You can post here.

So I take it that it has morphed if you can ID it? If so, when?

RUSS

Yes, It has morphed. Cute little guy too! Thanks for the input... you all are great
happy.gif

marcie

The easiest thing to feed it would probably be pinhead to 1/8in crickets. You can bump up the size as it grows. They're easy to get and don't disappear like worms. I raised some newly morphed macros a couple of years ago this way.

RUSS

Keeping extremely small caudates on paper towels with minimal cover is preferable for a few reasons. First, its easy to see the animal and monitor the food source. Second, its easier for the animals to locate it's food source. Third, I've seen several people, to include myself, crush small animals moving around structures in a container looking for them.

RUSS

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back