Salamander breeding

D

david

Is there a breeding season for salamanders? My two long-tailed salamanders curled up together in a circle. I have them in a terrarium of moist and muddy dirt, a water pool, and a small log to hide under with some rocks. I've also sprinkled in some pasture-mix grass seed to grow in the environment.

Everybody else may know this but I don't so I need some help here. How do you tell M or F on long-tailed salamanders?

Thanks Jennifer for the help. I have two Eurycea longicauda and one Eurycea bislineata. I didn't know the scientific name and I like learning them. I found mine in Pocahontas County, WV on the banks of the Greenbrier River. What kind of salamander is in your picture and where are they found? Thanks, Johnnie

I just got two fire newts yesterday. I need to
know if its ok to have them in the same tank.
How do you tell M or F on fire newts? They are eating guppies and like to play in the tangles of artificial grass. One is fatter than the other.
They were in a whole 5 gallon tank with 3 other fire newts is the fat one pregnant?

They should be fine together. If you see aggression I'd separate them. The fat one could be gravid... could also just be fat.

I have two Eurycea longicauda and at the top of the tank in the corner there seems to be a white mass of eggs or something. I have seen this before but no offspring. Anybody have a guess what this is?

I doubt that what you are seeing are eggs from the longicauda as this does not fit how the eggs should look. In addition, the female will guard the eggs.

Ed

If the white things are at the top corner of the tank, I'm guessing they are eggs from a small moth or some other insect. Are they dry and/or fiberous looking?

My photo is an immature Neurergus strauchii during metamorphosis.

Yes, they are. Now that you mention it regards insects, could they be from crickets I have put in the tank? I haven't seen my mud puppy in a while. Is this common for that species? I read in Caudata Culture that they are nocturnal and are more active in lower (63-68 degrees) temperatures. My room is about 70 degrees. Maybe he's hibernating?

Crickets do not make cocoons like that. More likely some other insect that came in.

The mudpuppy could be inactive due to the heat. At this time of year in the wild, it would be active and in very cold water. Is there any way to cool down your room? Or move the tank to a cooler room?

Yes, I can cool the room down. Today I got a most pleasant surprise. I have seen a new offspring of (I think) my Eurycea Bislineata. He crawled out from a little tunnel under this rock I've placed in the moist soil. It has tiny dots and two linear stripes on its back and stubby little legs. Its about two inches long. I feel very good about his environment as it must be the right stuff for breeding. Its definitely not my Mud Puppy. I haven't seen any battles so do you think I need to separate my species? It's a 10" by 20" tank. Thanks for the help.

My Eurycea Longicauda has lately taken to staying under a moss/mound overhang and all we can see is the head. It has been like this for about two weeks. Is this the behavior for guarding eggs???? I also just introduced another Eurycea Bislineata to the tank. Now I have 1 Bislineata and 2 Longicaudas and a female and new offspring of Cirrigeras. We are feeding them small and very small crickets. They are all in the same 10"x20" tank with all sorts of moss and grass mounds, rocks and hiding logs and a pond at the end. It has been made to resemble a wet, swampy, rivers edge and all seem to be thriving OK. Next question: Any warning signs or advice??? I realize the place is probably ready for another tank or two. What do you think???

Can anyone answer my question of 12 March, 2006??? All advice is greatly appreciated, Thanks Dave & Johnnie

I doubt there are many people here keeping E. Longicauda. I believe, but not 100% sure, that all Eurycea have an aquatic larval stage and so the female would not lay her eggs under moss unless there was a water source immediately under it also. How large are your E. cirrigera offspring and how many are there? Are they still larval? I would highly suggest moving them to their own tank and as you risk having them eaten by the adults. Most salamander species are not finicky eaters.

My E. Cirrigera is about 2 1/2 inches long and there is only one strangely enough. I am going to move them once I get a new tank. Thanks so much for your help.

I caught two eastern newts the weekend before spring break. They did the mating dance but my female died before she could lay her eggs! My male is still alive and I am going to go where I found them soon. Is there any chance my male could mate again?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back