Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Urgent Preblem!

A

a

Is it possible for a paddle-tail newt about 4 1/2 to 5 inches to eat a fire belly of about 3 inches? i cant find him.Do they burrow or are they extremely good at hiding? Will it come out? anyone dealt with this??

Any help is greatly appreciated

-@aron

(Message edited by jaws10a on January 16, 2007)

J

jeff

If it hasnt been eaten already, separate the two ASAP. In fact, if I were you, I'd take the paddletail out of the tank and gently feel it's stomach. If you feel a decent sized bulge, you'll know where firebelly went. If not, put the paddletail in a separate enclosure and do a full search of the tank.

Firebellies are also adept at escaping tanks. Do you have a secure, tight fitting lid on that tank?

A

a

just a thought, if a newt gets to cold, will they burrow for warmth? (goes for albino clawed frogs too. And no the clawed frogs are to small to eat any of my newts) Thanks

-@aron

A

a

no, my frog is in another tank and i cant find him he is the only only in there. Also my big paddle tail is gone. well, there is no other soulution, only that they had to burrow

(Message edited by Jaws10A on January 16, 2007)

M

mina

No the paddletail move the paddle taiL! And yes. paddletails are mean. So it couldhave eaten your newt.

A

a

wait, where do do you think they went? They cant have climbed out. my paddle tail, albino frog and firebelly are all gone.

(Message edited by Jaws10A on January 16, 2007)

A

a

wait i found my paddle tail but i cant tell if the others are in there too, but i found him in a filter stump, its so narrow i cant see how he did it but lets hope hell come out for the heater i put in the tank

D

dawn

I had a firebelly which I didn't see for six months. I thought it died and decomposed, or escaped. Then after all that time, there he was in the tank again, all skinny! He was hiding in there somewhere, must have been inside a decoration or something. But take the paddletail out! They aren't nice to other newts.

J

jim

Some helpful hints:
1.Seperate all three of these animals, none are compatible with each other.
2. You don't need a heater for paddletails, they like cold water.
3. Give the animals a place to hide as this will lower their stress level and they won't have to burrow or squeeze into filters to feel safe.
4. Put tight fitting, secure lids on all your tanks as all three of these animals are good escape artists. Check this out: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/escape.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1