Just 1 q

J

josh

Hi I Have about 4-6 europeon common frogs and a dozen newts in 1 pond.
what can i do to attract more?

Try puting food in the water. Or maybe start a daphinia culture in the pond, you could get eggs.

I would say "just wait". The population of frogs and newts will expand to the capacity of the pond in time. Even if you added animals or eggs or daphnia, I suspect that the final population will eventually end up to be the same.

I agree with Jennifer, just leave them to it, and the population should expand by itself.
You could try making your garden more amphibian friendly, giving newts and frogs more places to hide and feed when out of breeding season.
Log piles, rock piles, compost pile, ground cover plants etc.

how bout empty beer cans too?
smile6.gif

honestly anything like that will work, i have a friend over in england who said he saw bunches of new morphs after he peeled back torn padding on a wrecked sofa chair sitting in a breeding pond, not that i recommend this as garden decor.....

yeah but i have a snake in my pond and i think its eatin'em coz i havnt seen em in a wile!

that can't be helped. don't try and kill it. you'll probably find you've got more frogs and definitely more newts then you think.

yes, but only occasionally. the adults will eat each others and their own larvae.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back