Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please help- My Newt isn't eating!

L

lee

Please can someone help me. I have two firebelly newts that I bought from a pet shop about 2wks ago. One is Black and the other is brown. The brown one eats none stop but as far as I know the black one hasn't eaten at all and is now very thin. I'm really worried as she (I think it's a girl) has become less active.
I've been feeding them on live blood worm, Brine Shrimp and some kind of aquatic bug.
Also a few days after I got them, one of them laid an egg on a plastic leaf in the tank. I found this strange as it was just one egg. I didn't manage to see it 'hatch' as the brown one ate the egg a few days later- Is this normal?

B

benjamin

Are you sure it was a newt eggs, a lot of people confuse newt eggs with snail eggs (I don't know why). It's normal for newts to eat their eggs so they should be removed right after being laid.

L

lee

Yes. It was the same as the one on a picture in the cynops (I think they're blue tailed fire bellies) section of this site. I haven't had any snails in the tank or with the newts at all. Do newts eat snails or something? I've seen snails mentioned in a few posts.

J

jennifer

Is the non-eating one in the water or on land? If it is on land, then you need to feed it with tweezers or put tiny crickets on the land area.

J

jeff

you feed with tweezers by picking up a cricket by the leg and dangling it in front of the newt. I think brine shrimp are not a first choice, have you tried frozen bloodworms?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!