Eastern tiger Salamanders?

V

vaughn

Well, I have a small pond outside, and I've been sort of looking for things to put in it. I used to have an axolotl as a pet, and it was really cool. It would be pretty cool having a few axolotls in my pond.

But I'd really like something more local. I've never encountered a wild tiger salamander, but I see that there is a species of tiger salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum tigrinum) that does live in my particular part of the country/state.

Does anyone know where I can find eastern tiger salamanders for sale? For trying to introduce new animals into a backyard pond, local species like these would seem much more practical.

Tiger salamanders are not aquatic and would not live in your pond. I would be fearful of putting axolotls in an outdoor pond in Florida 1.) if they escape and breed, it would be bad on the ecosystem (an understatement, I know!), and 2.) Florida is too hot for axolotls to be comfortable during the summer.

You might want to build the pond and put in goldfish or koi, or just build it and see what shows up! If it's a significant sized pond, native amphibs and other animals will probably migrate to it.

(Message edited by Joan on March 23, 2005)

Vaughn,

If you want to attract local amphibs to your pond, your best to have it fishless. Newts will go to a stocked pond but will be more attracted to a pond with no fish and will stay there longer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back