Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How often should I change the ice?

ryan

Reaction score
I plan on putting a frozen water bottle (dechlorinated of course) in my tank (the temps are about 63-64F most of the time) and I was wondering how often should I change the ice? I can only do it when I wake up in the morning, when I get home, and before I go to bed. Is that enough?

Oh and I also plan on getting 2 of those personal fans to put on either side of my tank to bring down the temp a few degrees, has anyone done this?

J

jim

I don't know about the fans but the ice bottle depends on how many gallons you are cooling with it. I use a one liter for a ten gallon and a one gallon milk jug for a fifty five. I just swap them when one thaws out completely. If you don't achieve the desired effect, you can always increase the number of bottles.

J

jacob

Well, it depends on how many degrees you want to lower the water temperature too.

ryan

Reaction score
Um... probably the high 50s, low 60s. I got it under control right now (61.F degrees), I put a portable fan next to the tank and blew it directly onto the side of the tank, this lowered the temp by about 2-3F degrees.

D

dawn

That is such a great idea about the frozen ice jugs! Did you just think of that yourself? I've just started using the cut-worms-in-a-jar idea I saw a picture of somewhere on this site. There are so many clever people around here!

D

dawn

Not just into a jar lid, but into a jar! I saw a picture of an axolotl (I don't remember exactly where)
inside a jar on its side in her tank with the worms in it. I tried the jar lid thing which worked
fine except when I actually put the lid in the water the worms would float all over until they settled,
then I put something over the lid until the water settled (I hope I'm not being too confusing). I know,
I'll take a quick picture:
(and isn't it nice, one of my newts obliged me by being inside eating!)You might be able to to this with a big jar.
81243.jpg

F

fred

great setup dawn. when my newts transform i want something like that w/nice wild guppies. good looking food, can't beat that

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1