Notophthalmus v.v.

C

christy

i need to know if there is a definite way to tell if it is bloat or the other. I read the article on bloat but I still am not sure. My newt hasn't eaten in over a week and I am getting really worried. If you are looking down she has kinda pear shape going but not extreme and looking to the side the swelling looks like its going all the way to her chest. I need a plan of action cause I have two together. I am pretty sure I have two females from the pictures I have found on here.HELP!!!!

Hi Christy, I was hoping that things would have been better by now, is the newt less "bloated" or the same? I recall that you were feeding them all the same ammounts, but have you tried feeding them less often. I would think that it would take at least 1-2 weeks to notice a change if the newt was just too fat. My tiracha got pretty fat for a while beacuse he was eating way to much, but after a diet change he lost the extra pounds(I mean grams). I would be extreemly helpfull If you could take a picture from the top and sides, thats the only real way anyone will be able to help. Post a picture or a link to one someplace else as soon as you can so we can help.

here are pics of my newts, the dark one seems to be okay, the other is the one I am so worried about

46324.jpg
46325.jpg
46326.jpg
46327.jpg
46328.jpg
46329.jpg

I'm certainly no expert on this species but both look fine to me. I was unaware of bloat affecting the terrestrial eft phase. Hopefully someone else with more direct experience will chime in and confirm this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back