Refrigerating aquariums

A

antoni

Hello! I´m thinking about buying a water refrigerator (TECO TR10, www.tecosrl.com, 450€!!! puffff) for my newts because the temp in my city (Barcelona, Spain) rises so high in the summer. I have the newts since the past october and i don´t know how are they going to react when the temps begin to rise. The thing is that i would like to use the same refrigerator for the two aquariums and this means that i will use the two as if they were only one aquarium. They will be joined by a syphon and their water will be filtered by a big external filter.
My question is... could this (mixing waters from my to aquariums,..) be harmful for my newts? I think that my newts are wild caught so may be they have some parasits or amebas (a veterinarian told to me that most of the wild caught amphibians come with parasits that are not a big problem), but if i mix the water i would, may be, contamine or mix the posible parasits that the two especies "could" have in their intestines...
Sorry for my english..i try to do my best!!
Tahnk you
PS: My aquariums are 96 and 120 litres of capacity.

It depends on what species of newts you plan on mixing the water. If they're very similar, then I don't see it being a huge problem. If they're very dissimilar, or one species is very toxic while the other is only mildly toxic, then I wouldn't.

What species do you plan on using the chiller for?

All caudates have some sort of parasites. Usually these are not harmful, and are a normal part of their biology. We also introduce various things when we feed live food, such as earthworms or crickets.

Hello Joan!! Thank you for asnwer!!! The to especies are cynops orientalis (7) and paramesotriton fuzonhgensis (3)

How about instead of directly mixing the chilled water, run it through coiled tubing from the refrigerator into the two tanks. Make it a closed loop basically. It's not quite as efficient but would work pretty well.

Thanks John for the idea... i´m going to think about it...

Hello.....Joan are you there? Can somebody tell me if mixing waters from the two especies that i have (cynops orientalis and paramesotriton fuzonghensis) will be harmful for them??
Thank you very much!!!!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back