Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mudpuppies

J

jesse

Helloeveryone ,i was wondering if anyone knew were i could obtain some mudpuppies in california, or else were. Ive heard really bad things about caolina biologicals on these forums so i dont whant to buy from them. anybody have any ideas?
much appreciated-Jesse

S

sherri

Sadly enough, some bait shops will have them. I'd check there first. I'll always recommend actually finding your salamander out in the wild, and I'd say the same for you. I'm sure if you researched just exactly the species you want, you'd be able to locate spots where they might be. At least you know the salamander/mudpuppy is healthy and, even better, free. Good luck.

jessica

Reaction score
Another alternative may be (gasp) a pet store chain. I've seen them sometimes. I know the quality may not perfect, but I've read that the ones from the bait shops are usually injured from hooks etc and near death's door. Maybe the pet store will have some ok ones, and they usually have guarantees that you can return the corpse for a refund or new pet, might not be fun but convenient. If you decide to go with a bait shop make sure you overlook your pet fully before purchasing. But all the great people on this site say-go with a breeder, they're your safest bet. Search the internet for local breeders, pick up the newspaper and your local town/city papers (my family calls them penny savers) and search the classifieds. Good luck!

J

jesse

i think thast i may go with wards. I asked for my money bacK from carolinabiologcals and got it back. Seriously if anyone ever considers buying from carolina biologicals, please, PLEASE! dont. unless you whant dead animals. If anyone knows a bait shop that carries mudpuppies in california
id love to hear from yA.

J

jesse

well, i guess im left with no alternative but to ask anyone who lives in an area were they can aquire mudpuppies in healthy good shape to please contact me im willing to pay for the animals and the shipping. Aside from that if no one responds im thinking of giving up on mudpuppies alltogether(sigh)

J

jesse

hey i can totally see were you are coming from. and i would like to say that i am sorry if i came across as greedy and selfish.i have been using this site as an aid in helping me become a better herper. i have used alot of infor from here, and for that i am grateful for it. So to everyone who posts knowledgible good information thank you, you have saved my skin and my herps skins on several occations.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1