Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

About Pellets

ali

Reaction score
I have noted on this forum that a few of you have "confessed" to using pellets. I also use them occasionally (mainly when I'm at the bottom of the worm bucket!). But I had a question about them.
The only ones I have seen are Reptomin baby which says it is also okay for newts. I know that it has alot of plant matter in it. Is there a better pellet that is more meat based that any of you use or know of?

J

john

Wardley Reptile Premium Sticks.

I have been feeding my Newts and Salamanders pellets/ food sticks for years.
My Tiger eats them every other day.( 2 sticks ) They love them! They have been on them for over 15 years now. I also feed them crickets once every week or so. And worms now and then.

I use the Wardley Reptile Premium Sticks most of the time.
I have also used the Tetra Reptomin Floating Food Sticks too.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I use Rangen soft moist salmon pellet as a staple for axolotls and a supplement for most everything else. They are most often found in the 3/32" and 5/32" size.

D

danny

Michael,

I hear alot about salmon and trout pellets, but I dont know of a place that carries them. Is there a special store that you have to go to? Time to do a search for Canadian retailers of these pellets!

J

jennifer

Ali, I would really recommend investing in the Rangen pellets. You can buy them from the axolotl colony (http://bigapple.uky.edu/~axolotl/pricelist.htm) I believe that Michael Shrom may also sell them. They will keep for several months, but it's important to store them in a tightly-sealed jar.

Danny, it's worth asking the US sources if they would ship to Canada. If not, I'm not sure what to suggest.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Yes. You can buy directly from Rangen by 44 lb. bags. You can buy from me for about the same price as the axolotl colony. I'm out for now but will have some in a couple weeks.

ali

Reaction score
Whew! Will order from the Axolotl place. 44 lbs of pellets! My word! I only have three newties!
happy.gif

Thanks for all the advice, you guys!

TJ

Reaction score
What Mike means is that you can order from him in smaller quantities
wink.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1