Lets play!

D

danny

Ok there sports fans, once again its time to play "Name that Newt!" I picked up this little guy in a pet store north of where I live, got a great deal as they were selling it as a CO!!

What am I??
30879.jpg

I need a name!
30880.jpg

Just because she looked cute!
30881.jpg

? This one is for those that know knewts! Really cute little one.

Jarid, Thats what Ive been thinking since Ive been looking at pics on the net. The lady at the pet store called it a CO, and then one kid working there said it was a paddletail, sigh, so I told them I would buy the "CO/paddletail" they have another one there but it has a serious infection above its right eye. Maybe I should buy it and try to nurse it back to health, as the one I have is a male and the one thats left is a female. I think my male is lonely cause hes in a 10G tank and is tail fanning for no reason, hes all alone in the tank, weird.

all chinensis i have are a lighter shade of red in the torso venter and darker shade of red under the tail -yours looks like that too, there are alot of chinensis on the pet trade right now so im pretty sure that is what yours is-but it is on the thin side....looks to be male too

I placed the newt in the tank for about 30mins and then I chopped a trout worm up in 4 equal pieces, the little guy had no problems eating, ate each piece and gave a huge yawn afterwards. Dont worry Paris Im pretty confident that this one will get fat like my 4 P. hongkongensis!
rofl.gif
Hes alot smaller than the Hongkongensis, are the chinensis smaller? Im also confused about how to sex the warty newts. In the P hongkongensis the females have long narrow tails??...and the males have short more laterally compressed tails with a light sheen on them right??? This male chinensis has a long narrow tail like the female hongkongensis! hahaha so confusing!

my chinensis are bigger in length and girth than my hong kongs, it may be young.

Hmm, I need to start looking. I wouldn't mind keeping a paramesotriton sp.

That's a great find, Danny! Definitely impressive for the Caudata void that plagues Alberta!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back