Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New fire belly newt wont enter water

S

sandra

I bought a new fire belly newt last Sunday and he started eating right away. He did not take the newt pellets, live blackworms or frozen bloodworms but he did take the freeze dried bloodworms which dont have that much nutrition. The problem that I am currently having is that Bart, the new newt wont enter the water. He will swim frantikly to get to land. The tank has about 5 inches in water depth and has some foam material for the land.I think bart is just scared of the water because I took the newt and took it to the bottom of the tank ( I didnt force him under he stayed in my hand) he stayed at the bottom of the tank because he felt comfortable that he was holding onto my hand. Then he slowly ventured to a corner of the tank but he had trouble holding himself down. I dont know why his body tends to float and makes it hard for him to stay under the water. Luckily my biger newt, froogle came to where bart was and helped him stay under by holding him (Froogle came and she got over Bart holding the newt under him, although bart was freely able to go back up if he wanted to. They looked really cute !)until bart decided to go back up and never came back down. I dont want to lower the water too much because there are ghost shrimp in the tank and they need good amounts of water to be able to swim around. Will he eventually get into the water ? His skin is drying dramatically because he is not going into the water. Why did he have a hard time staying under water ? Will he eventually get into the water ? I always drop a few live blackworms at the bottom of the tank but since bart wont go under the water he is not able to eat them. I held some infront of him but have had no luck feeding him that way. Any help would be appreciated. I remember that Froogle my first newt did not have a problem being in the water but did actually not eat for about the first week, now im having the opposite problem with bart. First I thought that Froogle was a male, but she started to lay eggs and she is about 3.5 inches long. I have seen bart wrap his arms around froogle and crawls on top of her but froogle swims away and gets him off. Why does Bart do this ? Bart is about 2.5 inches long from head to tail but about 1.5 inches long just body with no tail. Is he big enough to tell if he is male or female ? If it helps, where i bought bart, he had about 6 inches of water depth and had a small land I it was a turtle dock, and he was at the bottom of the tank exploring, but he just wont do it in his new tank.
Here is a picture of the tank:
url]

I

ian

I think your questions are answered in the other thread.
Anyway, try increasing the water level. And maybe your ghost shrimp might have scared the newt. It seems like your newt is very stressed. Let it relax. Try to make sure the water quality is good and increase the water level so that it cover all the land portion of the tank. At lest 1cm higher than the highest land portion. This will force the newt to get use to water without physically forcing it down with hand.

Remove any heavy curretn filter in the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1