PLEASE HELP!

A

annie

Ok, so here's my issue:

I work with tiger salamanders on my college campus. I noticed one of the salamanders was looking a little sluggish tonight. I put him in water while I went to clean his cage and he looked like he went into shock. He was floating upside down and his mouth was open. I took him out of the water right away but he seemed like he was pretty close to death. He had red spots on his skin and his body was really limp. I couldn't tell if he was breathing or not but he would slightly move when I would touch him so I knew he wasn't dead. After a few minutes, a milky substance started to come out of his gills. I rinsed him off and he seemed to be doing a little better. However, I don't know if he'll make it through the night. Does anyone know what could be wrong with him or how I can help him? I just started working there a month ago and I have never experienced this before. My boss will take a look at him in the morning but I was hoping I could do something for him tonight. Thank you!

I'm a bit confused. Are they adult tiger salamanders, or larval? Adults don't have gills. But larvae can't be taken out of the water. I don't think you can do anything except to keep it comfortable, perhaps on wet paper towels.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back