Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP Ive got some crested newt eggs - how do i hatchem?

J

jim

Well im new to this and know very little about amphibs at the moment. Anyway the situation is this, my friend recently gave me a large jam jar with some alpine crested newt eggs in it(they seem to be attached to pond weed clippings). What should i do to give them the best chance of hatching, ie- room temp, change jar, do they need light???

(Message edited by pob on May 18, 2005)

W

william

were these wild caught?!? you should put them back from where they came if they are, straight away, it is illegal to do collect this species at any stage, it can lead to a £2000 fine per newt!!!!!!! you should tell your friend what could happen to him!

if i'm mistaken and they are captive breed then i'm sorry.

J

jim

theyre alpine crested newts he keeps them in an outdoor enclosure in summer!

W

william

alpine crested newts???
there are northern crested newts, southern crested newts, danube crested newts, italian crestred newts and alpine newts, i've never heard of alpine crested newts... whats the scientific name?

J

jim

well if its not an alpine crested newt than its an alpine newt heres its latin name - Mesotriton alpestris i found on google(sorry im not to up on my newts).

W

william

oh right i thought it was unusual lol! it is always best to use the latin names when on this forum since a lot of confusion can arise when using vernacluar names, this is a text book example. but anyway back to your question:

i'd read this it will help you lots, if there is anything you want to know which isn't there then ask, there are plenty of people here who have had success with this species.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Triturus/T_alpestris.shtml

good luck!

P

pin-pin

Hello!

Now that it's all cleared up, I'll be moving this thread to the Newt Help section at the end of this week.

If you have any objections, please private message me.

happy.gif

B

benjamin

I've heard of alpine crested newts before scientific name: Triturus carnifex.

W

william

i always thought that carnifex was the italian crested newt... never mind.
dizzy.gif

mike

Reaction score
You are right too Will, as you pointed out using the vernacular can be very confusing.
bowl.gif

Griffiths, in his book "Newts and Salamanders of Europe" refers to T.carnifex as the Alpine Crested Newt. It's distribution range being Italy, southern Alps and the Balkans.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1