Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Should i?

P

patrick

ok i have 3 chinese fire bellied newts. iv had them since november. from what iv read on the internet they grow to about 3 inches usually. well i currently have one thats just over 3inches, one that is 2 and 3/4 inches, and one thats about 2 inches, my tank is split fairly well land and water. but i was wondering should i push them to become more aquadic by raising the water levels and making it a more aquadic set up ? (sorry for spelling)

well advice would be appreciated hope to hear from you soon

D

danny

Well Im wondering how much water you have in your tank right now and what are you trying to achieve by raising the water level? Are you trying to breed? seeing if they are ready for a more aquatic tank based on their size? For my C.o setup, I currently have about 10 inches of water in a 20 gallon tank. As fall time approaches I start to drop it an inch a month until winter when I leave the water level around 6 inches. Then as spring comes around I raise the water again one inch at a time. I dont have any land area as I have ALOT of floating plants and the newts all rest along the surface during night when they are sleeping.

P

patrick

im just curious if i should push them to be in water more by raising the water and decreasing the land a bit, i only have about 4 1/2 -5inches of water but lots of land and they do swim but very rare, just wondering if i should or not (i think if i did it would be ezier to feed them). right now they spend most their time behind the rock in the corner of the tank

I

ian

I think if you provide more elodea or other plants in the tank, the newt will have some room to rest while removing some of the land portion. Raise the water a bit at a time. CO, from what I know, should be very aqautic.

P

patrick

ok thanks a lot i decided to raise the water levels there is still sufficient land area, thanks again for the suggestions and such hopefully i will have pictures soon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1