Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Broken leg?

B

beckerster

i think my JFB's leg is broken. i picked him up to put him in his feeding bowl and i noticed that his leg was red and puffy. i didnt know what it was so i put him in there but he didnt eat the worm. he didnt even move. how do i know if its broken? what do i do? heres a pic if that helps...
17882.jpg

S

sharon

It sounds like an infection. It looks kind of like one too.

Could he have gotten some kind thread or string wrapped around his leg cutting off circulation?

How could his leg have been broken? Has he fallen (been dropped)recently? Does he have tank mates?

But omg, it looks SO painful!! I'm thinking you need a vet at any guess. If the leg is broken or infected.

Sharon

B

beckerster

the only place he could have fallen off of was into some water. he does have 2 others with him. i beleive they are his litter mates. but i've never really seen them fight. i cant really afford a vet right now, i'm trying (very hard) to pay for my own wedding. i'm scared for him. i dont even want to suggest it but, is there something i should do? like amputate (shudder)? my poor baby...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1