Leg falling off!

K

karen

My CFBN had a cut on his leg 1 1/2 weeks ago when I brought him home from the store. It looks like it's falling off. Is that possible?

He's also not eating. Is he just destined to die??

(Message approved by admin)

My firebelly newt's foot is gone! What happened and what should I do?

(Message approved by admin)

I am no expert but I would suggest trying to post in the common name forum I know I've seen posts with similar issues which may help you. I do know that newts can regenerate limbs, but if there's an infection you will need to treat it. Also you may be able to e-mail a few of the more experienced people (maybe go by who is listed as moderators or those with hundreds of posts) directly if you don't get an answer in a couple days. Sorry I couldn't help you more than this but maybe hinting at the direction will get you the help you need. Good luck.

oh p.s. about the eating, I did lose two newts that didn't eat. My current newt only eats once a week so there may be hope for yours. What I've learned: Have you checked your water quality? (PH, nitrites/nitrates, temperature,debris). What are you attempting to feed your newt and how? Mine usually eats thawed frozen blood worms. At first he only ate them if they were sitting in the water in front of him. Then he only started taking them from the tongs. Sometimes he refuses them I think they get a little freezer burned so I get a new cube and try it. Last time he only ate the live tubifex which he tuned down a month ago. Some people are very pro earthworm when the newts won't eat, but you have to cut them. They area good source of nutrition, but tubifex are supposed to be ok. They are like an inch long and skinny like as wide as a pin and I don't have to cut them. Also I've also read from people that have had their newts recover, sometimes the newt won't eat until it's healing. I was stressed for a short time about this one not eating because at first he ate like every couple days when I tried and then he went a week without eating. I thought he was destined to die, but everyone told me not to give up. So right now he's once a week feeding. I think I'll try every three days again, it's been about a month or so. Also excuse this post if the thoughts seem scattered, it's a little late
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back