Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Vinegar.

M

mina

I Have some calcium deposits on my cynops tank walls b/c of a waterfall, and I know you can you vinegar to remove it. If I wet a paper towel and try to get as little into the tank as possible, do you think this would be ok?

J

jennifer

No. It's OK to use vinegar only when the tank is empty or not being used by animals.

As you are rather young, maybe I shouldn't even suggest this, but a straight-edge razor blade is very effective. You could use this with the tank still in-use, though it would be safest to remove the animals momentarily while you are working on it. You should check with your family before attempting this.

A

abrahm

I'm not sure about the safety of using it so close to the newts, but if you are really careful, the amount added to the tank should be minimal and theoretically safe.

EDIT: I will respectfully bow to Jennifer's advice on the use of vinegar or lemon juice as mentioned below in empty vivaria and aquaria only.

Just an FYI. I've found that lemon juice works much better for removing calcium buildup on tanks then vinegar does. Be extra careful as lemon juice is more acidic which is why it works better.

(Message edited by magustrate on February 23, 2007)

J

jennifer

I suppose that if it were done super-carefully, with little to no drippage, vinegar could be used with the tank still set up. That would be hard to do, at least for me. I would remove the animals, just to be on the safe side and to protect them from the fumes. And test the water pH afterward.

Good tip about the lemon juice, I've never heard that before.

If the white deposits aren't blocking the view into the tank, I would just leave it as-is.

ravenous

Reaction score
it is easier to use a wet paper towel and then dry it with another paper towel. this should remove all the calcium and wont cause any problems at all to the animals.

i do this once a week and it always keeps the tank clean.

M

mina

thamnks. I'll try the last one or get my dads help w/ the razor.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!