Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FBN took a turn for the worse.

J

john

I'm said to say that I dont think my FBN will make it through the night. She was somewhat aware today, but this afternoon, she was very lethargic and when I picked her up to change her paper towel, she did not move at all. When I put her back in the quarantine tank, she looked like she was gasping for air. She may have passed on already, I just dont want to mess with her tonight. If she is going to die, then I want it to be peaceful. So I will check in the morning and see how she is. The outlook does not look good. Thx for the help Jeff Fenn, I did all I could for her. At least I have some offspring of hers to take care off and remind me of her.

J

john

If she dies you have my sympathy,

And hopefully she dosen't
sad.gif
!

mike

Reaction score
John,

My SRN is in the exact same condition. It received an infection three days ago, which I have been treating ever since I put it in the same type of quarantine with the wet paper towels, but all it does it lie there in the most lethargic manner. When I put it into an isolated tank all it does it look like it gasps for air and starts to convulse. I am worried it may also not make it through the night. I share your frustrations but I think that all we can do is wait and see what nature decides. At this point my newt does't want to go in the water and I think that it's health is too weak for it to deal with air supplies under water. I wish you and your newt the best.

Sincerely - Mike

J

jeff

John-
Sorry to hear the bad news. Is she still alive? Sounds like we may have started a little too late. Applying it once a day may not have been enough, but then when you're dealing with a weakened animal it's hard to say. Too much treatment can be detrimental.

If both your newts are still alive, you might try switching to silver sulfadiazine for treatment. This is what I treated my T. shanjing with when she had an infection on her head. It worked like a charm. Unfortunately silver sulfadiazine is only available by prescription, so short of taking your newt in or having those types of connections it's hard to get.
Also, it's important to change those paper towels frequently, as they have a tendency to be fertile breeding grounds for bacteria.

J

john

Thx everyone. She is active today. She has been in 3 different spots and has pooped. I treated her wound again and changed papertowels. I put in some blackworms before I changed the paper towel and left her alone with them. I checked back in like 5 minutes and she was very close to the blackworms with her head right on top of the blackworms. I think she ate. She doesnt use the back limbs to much to move around. She is very week and when I pick her up she doesnt even squirm. But this activeness has given me alittle hope. She is breathing normaly and I will just have to wait and see.

Mike I wish you and your SRN the best. Thx for sharing your story.

(Message edited by nuggular on April 04, 2005)

J

jeff

That's fantastic news John! After reading your first post I'd assumed the worst. How does the wound look?

J

john

It looks like it is getting better, but she had more movement in her back legs before. So I dont know what to think. I assumed the worst last night as well and was very suprised to see her moving. Last night she was lying on her belly, and this morning her head was up and alert and her front legs were holding her up. She's using her backs legs very little, which might be a good thing to help them heal. I will keep posting updates.

mike

Reaction score
Hi John,

Good to hear that your newt may be on the road to recover. My SRN actually seemed to be doing a little better since she went into the water on her own. Alas, she is still weak but the infections seems to be healing. I have not seen her eat yet, but I left her many bloodworms so she can snack on them hopefully. All in all, she is still alive and is at least a 'fighter'. I wish you newts healthy progress.

Mike

P

pamela

John, although it seems that hope is nill, act as though there is still hope ('cause there always is).

Give her new (treated) water - don't change everyday, only partial changes (every 3 days to avoid any "shock changes" that she does not have the strength to tolerate at this time). Keep food available at all times, (i.e. bloodworms), and "suck" the leftovers out everyday (use a baster). Also, give her plants to hide in (whether they be live, or fake). I really believe that "cover" comforts them, that is: they can hide, not worry about being found by predators, and can therefore rest.

J

john

Well she is not in water due to the fact that the bactine would wash right of in the water. She is on wet paper towels that I change every 3 days. She has plenty of plants to hide under and she seems to rest easy.

J

john

Well I checked on her this afternoon and I dont think she is alive.
sad.gif
And if she is, she doesnt have much time. Its weird. The wound looks better and actually healed in spots, there was only a small portion of it left. I will check again after my night class and give everyone the final verdict.
cry.gif

J

john

Well she is still holding on. I checked this morning and thought she had passed, but when I picked her up she took a few breaths. She can't move and is on the brink. I treated her wound and wet her down alittle. Then I put alot of plant leaves around her to comfort her and make her feel hidden. I hope she passes on soon. I hate to see her struggling like this.
sad.gif

(Message edited by nuggular on April 06, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1