Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Christmas Present Help

N

natalie

Hello!

My boyfriend mentioned that he wanted a salamander for his fish tank a couple of times. I was considering getting him one for Christmas, but I'm extremely intimidated by all the choices and I'm scared that pet store people will lie to me.

His fish tank is fairly sized. He has a few of those big, fat goldfish and an algae eater fish. Is there a salamander that could live in this environment? Recommendations would be GRATELY appreciated!

N

nate

As a general rule, fish do not mix well with most species of newts and salamanders. First of all, newts and salamanders are not tropical and will not do well in a tropical-style fish tank. Also, many fish will nip at or otherwise injure the sals. There are a few, large aquatic salamanders which can handle the warmer temperatures (Amphiumas, Sirens) but these will also eat the fish.

J

john

I'd put it this way:

Don't get your boyfriend a salamander or a newt. If you must get him something for his fish tank, get him another fish.

S

steve

humm... What about a 10G/20GL tank with 4 newts in a semi-aquatic environment as a TOTAL present?

*Actually a nice addition to a Goldfish tank is an eel like fish called: rope/reed fish, these do great and look like snakes or an eel.

If no, How about a large 4-7" ORANDA goldfish, these are the cutest, especially when you get a plump female and it's this large. Do you already have larger goldies?

stevel

**side note: newts prefer fishless ponds and terrestial sallies won't run into them {bump}(well ,alive anyways) LOL

A

aaron

Last that I knew, ropefish are tropical-which means they need warmer water than goldfish.

~Aaron

S

steve

actually (as a long time goldfish keeper) The fancy goldfish do better at warmer temps. Of course, they are the fish to deal with cold water, but there is less disease and problems at a higher temp and ultimatly THRIVE on it. Ask anyone that keeps them (at least for awhile) and you'll find their temp is around 70-75-ish. I have had my tank up to 82F before and they loved it!

**The reason people dont mix tropical with goldfish (unlike newts that dont mix well) is one of several reasons (most personal opinion):

1) dont invest in heater or live in cold climate
2) pet store says no and you listen (remember when you listened to them about newts?)
3) goldfish are "messy" they produce high amm. so, will pollute the water and tropical may not be used to this.
4) dont buy an adequate tank SIZE, or a CHEAP filter which is not GOOD with goldies.

I will leave it at that, since this isn't the "goldfish" board! LOL Email me to talk more about goldies or meet me at koko's goldfish forum.

steve

p.s. "side note": I kept my reed fish in a 10G with a dragon fish (violet gobie) and the temps were about 60-69F and they lived a long time this way before being tranferred to my goldie tank at 75F+ (I even had it down to 50F)

S

sparky35

I keep my Chinese Fire Belly with a siamese fighting fis/Betta and they get on wonedfully-that is ignoring each other and just going about their own business.

S

steve

betta's seem to be naturally aggressive. I tried keeping one with a female and hell broke out.(mating ?) I keep one alone and he does great. I also kept them with LARGE goldfish and it seemed okay, but was intimidated by the others.(size)

newts dont like fish.(well to my knowledge, my newt doesnt want to tell me his feelings)

stevel

U

(unregistered

Well I think that I will leave my pets to gether as they have lived this way for over 2 years with no hassle and the newt swims all the time so isn't afraid of the fish at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!