Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advice on moving

T

tonyp

Hello. I have two newts -- a southern crested and a paddletail (separate tanks). In a couple of months I will be moving from the Midwest to California, and I am worried about how to get the newts out there with minimal trauma. My furniture is being shipped and I am flying out. So, the two options as I see it are:

1) Leave the newts with a friend here (who has taken care of them and fed them before) in their current set-up and have the friend ship them next-day air once I have the new tanks set up in California.

2) Take the newts on board when I fly out and set up new tanks as soon as possible after arrival.

Plan 1 seems to have the advantage that the newts will not spend much time in transit and will go from full set-up to full set-up. But I am worried about the conditions for shipping (temperature, etc.). Plan 2 is appealing because they won't leave my side, but it will probably be a couple of days before I can get a new set-up ready once I arrive in California.

Does anyone have experience with a move like this? I am particularly worried about my paddle-tail, who NEVER leaves the water -- will he be ok in moss in the shipping process?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

(Message approved by admin)

P

paris

paddle tails will do ok in moss, the issue with planes is not to tell them you have them on you, i know it is against airline policy with south west, but i am not sure if it is against airline regulations. best bet is to have your friend keep them in the fridge -rinsing them daily-you move with the tanks, set the tanks up the have your friend ship them to you overnight-with icepacks(since its summer). i will be moving cross country with mine in a year-and i have LOTS-my solution will be to move with them in ice chests. if you are flying-i am guessing you wont keep the old ones(tanks)??-take a jar full of their established aquarium water or some of their filter floss(dirty) to their new set up to establish a healthy, stable and familiar ecosystem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1