Newt and a snail?

K

kylee

is this possible? i have heard its fine as long as its a big snail.. but i've also heard i cant add a snail because they might suck on the newts skin and make it easier for infection. If a snail is out.. is there anything safe i can add that will help clean the tank??

thanks in advance
happy.gif

Small snails are fine. In fact, I'd say small ones are safer than large ones. I've never heard of a snail sucking on a newt, but the really large ones can clamp down hard against the glass, trapping newt body parts.

The best thing for cleaning the tank is YOU! If there is leftover food or waste, you should be removing it. If a snail or other scavenger eats it, they just turn it into some other kind of waste, and it's still in your tank! A turkey baster is very useful. Photo, and other info here:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/faq.shtml

In my thank, there is a cleaning-team! I have some shrimps, two algae-eaters and two Hypostomus, they are very pacific and do no harm to my newts!!

Can you get shrimps and algea eaters??
i heard if the newts try to eat them.. it will result in death because of the tiny spines/ hard shells?

In my aquarium they are almost friends!!! My newts just ignore them!!! They never atack the fishes... the shrimps they eat sometimes... This picture is of one of my Hypostomus (cascudinho) and one of my tirturus some time ago... he is pretty larger now!!
46633.jpg

Kylee, I recommend ghost shrimp. They are not any kind of threat to newts. I do not recommend algae eater types of fish (despite the photo from Filipe). The temperature requirements are too different (newts like it cold). Also, plecos (a common type of algea eater) have been known to suck sores on axolotls and would probably do the same to newts.

Well.. i already went and bought a snail. I would consider him medium? He already was found sucking on a newts face.. so i tapped him and he "let go". I have one fragile newt.. i'm afraid he'll get a hold of him.. and possibly hurt him?

for some info.. i have a semi aquatic setup in a 10g for 4 cynops O's,

Here is a picture.. .tell me what you think.

46648.jpg

Don't even risk it if there's a chance that snail will hurt the newt! You already had to pull the snail off of him once, what if you're not around and it happens again?!
nono.gif

That snail is huge compared to the newts. It should be taken out. Also, these newts should be kept in a fully aquatic setup.

I have three ghost shrimp in a 10g, and although they are fabulous and I love them, newts are messy! I need more shrimp! I would LOVE to get some rams horn snails, but they would also love to eat all my aquatic plants! If only snails didn't eat plants. *
*sigh*

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back