Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt breeding

P

peter

I have two questions, the first I have sort of already asked,but now more specifically.
1. When a female is large full of eggs are these eggs fertilized eggs or is this not an indicator of the eggs fertilized state.

2. What can i do to stimulate my marbled newts into breeding. they started to lay and I have some young, but now they refuse to lay. Some females are quite round. I do wonder if some females have laid eggs, but the eggs are being eaten, no proof of this tho
happy.gif

Any help

P

phoebe

The first question, they have been fertalized, because when newts lay the eggs boys dont go and fertalize each and every.

The other question, you shouldnt force your newts into laying eggs, sometimes they wont do it, if they dont like the male or wether the male dosent like them. I dont think the newts will eat the eggs if there is any. ;)

A

andy

Females produce eggs over the cool period, at this point they're unfertilized (though there is evidence females can retain sperm from previous matings). During courtship the male will release a spermatophore and the female takes this up into her body...it's at this point they're fertilized. Eggs will be laid shortly after.
Also, it's not unusual for newts to eat their own eggs. Take them out a raise them separately.

Peter, how are you keeping them? whats the temp?...depth of water?....i wouldn't worry too much, if they're old enough and due to lay they will do.

M

mark

Peter, newts eggs are fertilized outside of the body. As to getting you newts to breed again, did they breed this year already? Not all newts will breed multiple times in a year, especially if you aren't controlling your temperatures in the water and air. Try to match what was done when you had success.
Mark

E

ester

Heya Peter,

1. If a female is large this does not have to mean she's full of eggs. Nor does it indicate if the eggs are fertile or not.

2. The temperatures may simply be too high, also, this is about the end of their normal breeding season in the wild.

There's a good care sheet on the CC pages:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Triturus/T_marmoratus.shtml

About fertilization. The male produces a spermatophore which the female picks up with her cloaca. Fertilization of the eggs then takes place inside the female body.

With all triturus, there's a problem at tail bud formation. Not all fertile eggs will hatch. On top of that, the ones that do hatch are cannibalistic.

P

peter

Hi Guys
many thanks for you thoughts and advice. I re-tested the temp of the newts tank it was 76'f which I am sure is a tad too high for them. I do have a aquarium chiller ,but if i use it I think the newts will think winter is coming and cease altogether. I am resigned to planning the next years breeding with a proper cooling period and excellent feeding. At least I have twenty small newts to improve my future breeding prospects.
again many thanks for your advice

peter

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1