Planaria??!! C'mon, why is it so hard for me to keep newts???

C

caitlin

Why does it seem that I am having the most difficulty starting the hobby of newt keeping? I just started up a new tank for my two fire bellys. I put sand in it this time. As it was cycling, I noticed small wiggly worms, from an eighth to a quarter of an inch long, very thin and whitish tan in color. All over. TODAY however I noticed a PLANARIA just wondering around like he was supposed to be there. WHERE THE HECK DID ALL THESE WORMS COME FROM? Are they harmful to newts? How can I get rid of them? I was thinking of doing a full tank cleanse and let it sit out dry a few days, or finding a chemical to kill the worms. What do you recommend? I'm at my wits end!

There´s no need to freak out...
I´ve been told they are harmless...
I was quite surprised to find planaria in my tank too...but it seems to be a VERY common thing...As long as you don´t have a huge infestation or notice this worms over your newts, you shouldn´t have to worry. Let it be...

Alright, what about the tiny worms then? I am just afraid of them becoming parasitic to my newts. Especially if they eat them. Any ideas? Thanks.

Probably flat worms that came with some of the plants. As far as I know also not harmful to the newts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back