Newt tail clipped off with fungus

I

ian

My rough skin newt's tail is damaged. It was daggling a piece of the tail at the end of the remaining tail. The daggling piece has fungus growing on it. I managed to remove that piece from his/her body. however, I am not sure if I have to apply salt bath or any other treatment on it.

I think there might be a little fungus at the wound of it's tail. And it is a rough skinned newt I got from the petstore 2 months ago when it was not eating and extrememly skinny. I decided to help it but now is wounded. I guess I didn't have the chance to prepare a good set up for it so it injured itself now.

Need advice. Thanks.

I assume you've seen the CC article on treating infected wounds. I don't have any personal experience. I've seen an occasional tail bite, but they have healed without help. As you see fungus growing, I'd say treat with salt baths. Good luck!

Hi, just an update and also need advice.

At first I thought it probably not infected as there was no fuzzy things growing on the tail. But by now, it seems like the tail is getting smaller and growing fuzzy fungus on it.

I think I will try to let my newt to cure itself by providing a terrestial setup. just like the soil solution provided in the article about wound.

However, I am wonder if I can just use paper towel (white, I know the brown one is better as the white probably bleached) will it be okay? If so, how should I do it. Advice needed.

If I have the time, I would go get chemical free soil or brown paper towel. But just not that much time at the moment and I really want to help the newt asap. Thanks

Ian, i feel that you know more then you are letting on right now! The white paper towels are fine, just make sure you use de-chlorinated water if you are concerned about chlorine itself.

Don't forget about the salt baths!

Hello Ian
How is your sick newt doing? I hope that it is doing well!

Thanks everyone, this newt has been through a lot. I rescued it from the pet store while it was skinny as skeleton. Now it has a wound in the tail. I now putting it in a box with wet paper towel. it seems to look fine, but it is difficult to judge for now. It didn't move much after I moved it terrestrial and even if I hold it by hand, it didn't try to escape, not comparatively as energetic as it was in water. Maybe that is the netural of a newt. I can see that the fuzziness of the tail is gone and replaced with a dark skin on it. I will try a salt bath on it for now. I will attempt to feed some earthworm pieces to it tommorrow.

Thanks very much.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back