N. viridescens violence

P

patrick

My red spotted newts are getting pretty violent when they feed. today the smallest and largest were facing each other and literally tried to bite each others heads off.
I am feeding them every other day with a nice sized chunk of worm. Am I not feeding them enough?
I have three in a 20 gallon tank, so overcrowding shouldn't be the issue, and they only attack each other right after I feed them.

any suggestions?

Hello Patrick
I have had the same problem. What I do to prevent my from fighting is to have the food ready for them and wait for the newts to be far apart and use a thin stick to offer them the food one at a time!

I agree with Alberto, and I have used this method as well.

Right now, I remove each newt and put them in a small plastic container- one at a time- and feed them separately, so the other doesn't feel compelled to sneak up and attack the other. Also prevents food from escaping into the tank.

Hi Karen
I believe that I have read on one of your post that you did that before. I have done that with turtles many years ago to help keep their tank clean and I may attempt to it with my newts.
Thanks for the suggestion!

I wouldn't worry too much, Notos rarely are able to hurt each other. I would suggest feeding them more - perhaps put in a whole bunch of worm pieces at once, then clean out the uneaten ones. If the Notos are skinny, feed them more for sure.

I've had mixed results with moving newts into a separate feeding dish - some of them get too frightened and won't eat. Worth a try though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back