Could i try this Ô_o???

R

rodrigo

I got 4 eggs..(yes...only four.....) from my C.o female, and they are fertile. There´s one problem...i´ve asked in pet shops and the only live food available is artemia. It´s rather expensive...i guess it´s not that much if you´re feeding a hundred larvae....but for 4 "possible" larvae it´s a fortune.
So i was wondering...what are my chances of succeeding by feeding them extremely chopped bloodworms???I know it´s a good food item for bigger larvae....but i wonder if they could get acostumed since the beginning...

Chances are that they won't react to any food that isn't moving until they are about 3 weeks old.

If you have the patience to do it, you could drop bits of bloodworm in front of them so they react to it moving while it is sinking but i know from experience that this takes quite a while and a lot of patience to do it twice a day. But it is possible to do it this way. i did it once when i ran out of BS. You do have to chop them up very small though.

Good luck
happy.gif

great! thank you Dan.
I indeed have the time and the patience. I had my hard times with my marm juvies and everything is sorted out now. So i guess i can try my best with 4 larvae.
I so hope the four eggs make it...

Also, i have always found that when i order live bloodworm, they are a LOT smaller than frozen bloodworm so they are easier to eat for the little'uns.

oh...they´ll have to be frozen ones...i´ve asked in all the pet shops of the city and none of them sell them...or have even heard about them...¬¬
As long as i chop them to the tinniest pieces i have chance, right..?

Do you have a healthy local pond Rodrigo? Pond dipping with a fine net is a great way to get tiny aquatic invertebrates. In the winter there will be less to catch but enough to get your larvae started.

You can use a toothpick or skewer to flick tiny pieces of chopped bloodworm towards the larvae. This method works well for larvae that are quite well established.

The pond microfood was my first thought....but the only source is the river that crosses the city...and it sucks...despite what ppl say it´s a highly contaminated river in my opinion....so i´m definitely not using anything from it...
I´ve been thinking but there´s no other water source that i can remember.
I know of some but they are far from the city and i have no car...
My adult´s tank is full of little worms and what i think are copepods...but i fear four little larvae have no chance at all to survive in the tank....

Have you looked into purchasing a brine shrimp hatchery kit either locally or online?

Another idea... obtain a culture of whiteworms. I find these easy to grow. You could have enough to feed your larvae within a couple of weeks. (I suspect you will continue to get more eggs for several more weeks...)

What kind of artemia do your pet shops have (adult, or eggs)?

Yes, whiteworms are also easily obtained online, and are a viable option... if you can stand the smell
dizzy.gif

I grow whiteworms (Enchytraeus) in soil, feeding them bread. They have no smell at all that I've noticed. Are you thinking of microworms, maybe? Those can work up a good stench. I quit growing microworms because they are too small, and too much hassle mixing their food.

i have no access to any of those...
This is a small town and pet shops here suck.
The artemia kits are expensive, and the only other option is frozen bloodworms.
I still have just for developing eggs...the female hasn�t laid any more.
I think i�ll try extremely chopped bloodworms...
If that doesn�t work i guess i�ll have to convince someone to take me to some local pond (pretty far).

Leave some boiled cabbage outside in a jar for 6-8 hours. Eventually little red things will become apparent. Feed the babies those little red things.

If you seriously want to raise them, I think you should buy the brine shrimp. You don't need a whole kit, just the brine shrimp eggs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back