Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Salamanders

C

chris

We have recently aquired 2 Salamanders. I wondered if any one could shed a little light on how to keep them, feeding, lighting etc. We currently have Axies, breading pairs and youngsters. So we are well versed in the cold temperatures, very little lighting, substrate problems that they have. If any one could shed a ray of light this way we would be very greatfull

Chris and Kirsty

J

joan

Chris and Kirsty, that depends on what kind of salamanders you have. If you could post a picture, I'm sure they could be identified and someone will point you in the right direction.

C

chris

Well this is were we are thinking that they are newts, because we were told that they were ribbed Salamanders but looking over the Salamander help pages there is nothing about ribbed Sala's only newts and they look like Spanish ribbed newts! So we're in a bit of pickle as to what they are but we will post some pic's shortly

C

chris

here we go pics

57356.jpg

57357.jpg

57358.jpg

(Message edited by jennewt on April 14, 2006)

J

jim

Mine will eat anything. I've fed them all types of worms, frozen brine shrimp, crickets, newt bites(not recommended as a whole diet), everything but red wigglers. Good luck!

T

tyler

Now in those pics is that small gravel (the one that everybody refers to as being bad)? Would that species try to digest that?

J

jeff

The gravel looks kinda small for them, they may ingest it accidently. try larger gravel or you could try sand if you can't find that.

J

joan

Small gravel is only REALLY discouraged in axolotl set ups because of the way axolotls feed (they suck food into their mouth, rather than bite and swallow). P. waltl may ingest gravel, but I don't see it being too big of an issue.

S

shelby

I have Salamanders or Newts that look almost Identicle, except they are black...would it be they be the same thing?...I've been wondering for awhile..

-Thanks a Bunch!
happy.gif

J

jennifer

Shelby, I've never seen this species look black in color. Did you get your animals from the wild, or from a shop? Are they aquatic? Post a picture if possible
happy.gif

S

shelby

They arn't actually mine...They live in my pond with my gold fish...It's about a 1 acre pond. I can't get a picture because they move too fast, They are completly aquatic. and when they swim tey tuck in their front and back legs and swimm like a snake. They and about 3 inches...hmm, I can try toget pictures they just are hard to find.

-Thanks

C

chris

thanks ever sop much for the help.yeah we have been feeding them on chopped earthworms and they love them,we feed on a large bit of slate and also i have watched them and they do bite there food rather than suck it in like an axie does,all of our axie tanks are sanded for substrate and omg our females our egg laying machines lol as we speak we have a female laying eggs,i have also got about 150 babues that i will post some pics on the axie part of the fourum soon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1