Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Extra small sirens....can i house them together?

M

matthew

Hello friends and experts,
I recently purchased some peninsula newts off of kingsnake.com and the guy was a little late in getting them to me. So, as a kind gesture he included 5 greater sirens (according to him) with my newts. They are all under 4 inches long but very active. I know that they cannot be housed with the newts but can I house the sirens all in a 10 gallon for right now? And what do sirens this small eat? I have been ghost shrimp in with them and they are dissapearing....so I am assuming that they are eating them. Please help! Thanks!
Matt in Wisconsin

R

reid

They can eat tubifex or blackworms. Not sure if you can put them together, but I housed my axolotls together when they were just 2 inches long.

A

alberto

Hello Matthew
Yes I think that you can housed all of your Greater Sirens together for right now and change the water often. But you need to get some thing bigger as soon as possible to housed them! Our you can separate them into separate containers.
They like to eat earthworms, fresh water shrimp and small fish.
But let me warn you, they will grow fast and produce lots of waste!
You should be able to read lots of information about them, in article section of this great web page!
Good luck!

(Message edited by Alberto_hernandez on September 17, 2006)

J

jennifer

In terms of planning housing, it's important to know what species they really are. Sorry, I'm not good with identification issues, but hopefully some others can help there.

E

edward

They can be very difficult to tell from lesser sirens at that size and often you have to wait until they are full grown before you can tell...

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1