NVV tail thinning?

K

karen

One of my newts has undergone a strange transformation. His tail was very broad, with a large "crest" (if that's the appropriate term). I've noticed that in the past week, it has thinned down considerably. Is this a hormonal thing, a breeding thing or a seasonal phenomenon? He hasn't been eating very well, but he's not skinny yet. Is it that he's just lost weight in his tail?

Sounds like it might be breeding season related. The animal might want to leave the water for a while. It eats less then.

What species newt do you have? This sounds like a crest from a Triturus species. If the tank has been getting cooler temperatures this could account for his breeding readiness.

Both my newts are notophthalamus viridescens (eastern/red spotted newts). I'm getting a bit concerned b/c the one whose tail crest has diminished is also the one who is not eating well all of a sudden. May take him to the vet as soon as we can dig out of the blizzard of '06!!

Notopthalmus v.v. males develop somewhat of a caudal fin (crest) during this time of year. This is a sign of breeding readiness. Cynops p. males also develop a caudle tail fin. They are by no means as significant as the Crescent Newt sp.

You might also notice cloaca swelling.

But should I be worried since his crest has diminished?? Is that normal?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back