2 questions about CFBN

N

nully

1. what's a good water depth for a 10 gal aquarium? (im not sure the measurements of it, i know the sides are like 26.5 inches) right now i have 7 inches of water.

2. is a 10 gal big enough to hold 2 CFBN's? cause i want to get a female, and hope that they breed someday.

Thanks

Don't be afraid to fill up the 10g almost all the way to the top. I currently keep 4 CFBs in a 10g with about 8-9 inches of water. Mine are currently laying eggs.

Your tank may be more than 10 gallons, because a 10 gallon is 20" long, 10" deep, and 12" tall. Ok, I'll shut up before I feel like too much of a geek.
lol.gif

~Aaron

Addressing question #2, yes, a 10 gallon tank is great for up to 4 CFBN (assuming there are no fish or other critters). Just be sure to QUARANTINE any new newts for about a month before mixing them with your healthy one - many come from the pet shop with diseases.

thanks for the help.

one more question, here's a picture of my tank:
fargo-arial.jpg

the thing in the top right corner is a cave, and the tupperware container in the bottom has the lid on with rocks and water inside to keep it down, and some rocks on top. Is there anything i should add or take out if i get another newt? im not sure about keeping the cave thing in there, because i dont want them both to go in there and start fighting.

thanks again.

is the water level with the little tupperware island?

as for the cave, it would be fine to leave it in there.

I'd like to second Jen's quarantine remarks! I used to think that was being overly cautious/pessimistic. Now I know from bitter experience that it's sound advice!
blush.gif

I don't think you need worry about them fighting. I'm not aware that CFBN have aggressive tendencies like paddletails. My JFBN share shelters all the time without probs.

I don't see any filtration being used in that pic. That might be OK if the water is kept very cool and shallow and is changed frequently. But I'd recommend adding at least a sponge filter to keep the water from going stagnant, esp. if you're planning to raise the water level.
happy.gif

Have it at at least 4-5 inches...

Filter definitely ends up being VERY worth it in the end, trust me!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back